Thursday, September 15, 2011

Chapter 1: An Unexpected Class Visitor

No one was more amazed than I to see a unicorn in Mr. Bartlett's English prep class.  That man can make the Norman Invasion sound boring as he droned on about the history of the English language.

There turned out to be a good reason no one else seemed amazed.  It seems I'm the only one who actually could see the unicorn.  My eyeballs felt like they were actually popping out of my head.

"Rose Andrews, is there something you would like to share with the class?"

"No, Mr. Bartlett, sir."  Mr. Bartlett still has some kids call him "sir", especially geeks like me.

The best thing to do, when you are the only one to see a thing is to pretend to ignore it and hope it goes away.  Even if it doesn't, at least no one will suspect you're going crazy.

It was a very beautiful creature.  Almost too beautiful.  It looked as though it were carved of something brittle yet expensive like fine porcelain or china.  Then it beckoned me with its horn....

I raised my hand.  "Yes, Ms. Andrews?" Mr. Bartlett sounded more tired than usual.  Just 3 more years till retirement, I could imagine him saying to himself.

"Mr. Bartlett, could I be excused for a moment?"

"To do what?"

I could feel my face get red.  "To, um, get a drink of water."

Mr. Batlett gave a start.  "Oh, I thought it was a restroom thing."  The whole class giggled nastily.  "Come back as soon as possible."  Bartlett winked at me and I thought I would die.

So I followed the unicorn out of the classroom.  When a mythical creature wants you to follow you follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment